09/05/2017

EA6/MA-017 (Puig d'Alaró)

09/May/2017    EA6/MA-017 (Puig d'Alaró)
Walking time and distance (one way) :  45 minutes /  2.7 km

Impressive "inexpugnable" Castell d'Alalró from a distance 
I knew this one would be a “kuitenbijter” (sorry, Google won’t translate this … try to find what it means yourself  hi). You don’t get 6 points for nothing on Mallorca Island ….

I found a parking spot along the road from Alaró to Es Verger ( a sheep farm), at  39.72999, 2.790051 , saving me to walk back a few hundred meters from the farm to the starting point of the track at 39.72949, 2.79109 .

Start of the path to Castell d'Alaró ...

and Almost there !
This path, part of the popular walking route GR-221, is entirely in cobblestones, very uneven, and every few meters, you have to take a “step” up, thus breaking any walking rythm you may have. 
It's like walking a staircase for a continous 2.7 km. I got to the top in about 45 minutes, but it was no easy walk !
EA6/MA-001 Puig Major as seen from Puig d'Alaró
The views from the top make up for all the trouble of course, I had a wonderful view of Puig Major EA6/MA-001, the highest summit on Mallorca. 

I made a successful activation, be it a short one with only 11 QSO’s in the log.

Here a map of my QSO's (from Log2Map by ON6ZQ):




Typical Mallorcan "pa amb oli" (bread with oil) 
After walking back and driving to the farm, I had a quick lunch (a “pamboli” and a Coke), and went on to the village of Orient (having to drive all around Castell d’Alaró, and over the Coll d’Orient) for my next summit.

(to be continued ...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All reactions will be moderated. Publicity or links to other sites are not allowed.